Just like avocados were for me an acquired taste, Oklahoma is my acquired ecosystem. Okay, technically I live in the cross timbers region of Oklahoma, but to authors, the writers of musicals, composers, and just about everyone else inside and outside of Oklahoma the whole state is perceived to be a prairie.
True, Oklahoma has it's lovely points...like the fact that fried meat is all you can find on any menu, or the fact that noodling (the absurd practice of catching catfish with your bare hands!) is a popular, all be it illegal, sport. Like the fact that when I purchased my house there was still language in the deed prohibiting people of other ethnicities from living in my neighborhood. I have security knowing there are at least 10 churches in every square mile eager to deal out there version of condemnation. People don't (ahem) drink or evolve and pretend not to go with boys who do. We get fantastic rankings in things like domestic abuse, obesity, female incarcerations, literacy levels, child poverty, Super Fund sites, and recycling rates. Our Governor doesn't appear to have done well in 5th grade English; but our weather man is a superstar.
If the record low was too low for you, hang on, that record high is coming-perhaps in the same day. Summer is so hot here you have to believe in hell, but at least your smoke alarm gets tested whenever you open the door. AND, cooking steak on the sidewalk makes that noisome state animal the angus useful. We don't have much in the way of mountains, but we do boast of the world's highest hill. There is no ocean but claims are made that we have more shoreline than any other state (admittedly, I'm a dubious of this one). We have more tornadoes than any other state, but at least in the flat places you can see them coming. The only natural disaster we have not had (since I've lived here!) is a tsunami or a volcanic eruption (hurricane: check, earthquake: check, F5 tornadoes: check, softball size-hail: check, ice- storm: check, sand storm: check, flood: check, drought: double check...).
But somehow this land of red dirt gets under your skin (and in your boots, pulverized into your carpet, and up your nose). It is first place I saw bald eagles, buffaloes, prairie dogs. First place I swam in a lake, rode a horse, went fishing, got married- oh wait- another Oklahoma trend I don't actually want to follow.
And a few weeks ago, when Evan got to be part of premiering a local symphony I was reminded how much I don't want to leave- at least not for a very long while. We even now have our own "Norman anthem" and symphony called "Forward!". I was so proud of him, and that orchestra, and all our friends in it and the ways they were unifying a community and empowering young musicians. If you would have cut me open, I am certain I would have bled dirt!
Check them out (Good video clips here):
Norman Philharmonic Gears Up For Inaugural Concert
Audience gives Norman Philharmonic a Standing Ovation
Norman Philharmonic Symphony's Press Page
I want my kids to grow up singing these songs. I want this place to hold their place. I want them to hear how it beckons comfortably to old (and new!) friends "ya'll come back now, ya hear?" as it shakes them on the shoulders and connects with it's solid gritty handshake back to that dirt.
No comments:
Post a Comment