Monday, December 19, 2011

19: Hiccup

19
Hiccup

Calyn December 19th
     1. (noun) A hilarious spasm accompanied by a peculiar noise.
     2. (noun) To experience a temporary interruption within a longer term plan.



 Calyn has had the hiccups since she was in utero. Seriously. It is so often and funny that she even has a song...She's the hiccup queen; born on October 17. And she's changing all of our lives. Watch that girl, watch that scene. She's the hiccup queen.  

While holding this little queen at church a darling older man greeted her as the center of the universe. He said to me with utmost sincerity, "this is the most important work you will ever do. You are raising a life." How I wanted to kiss him! When so much worth is associated with work (as in job or career), it is often hard to find value in the mundane things that make up a day; especially during mess management. When children are so often overlooked and put last, re-focusing on them was refreshing. To acknowledge parenting as paramount was among the highest compliments anyone has ever paid me. So while none of my children have come when I would have planned for them to, I'm trying to continually see their daily interruptions as my real job and true joy.

"The great thing is, if one can, to stop regarding all the unpleasant things as interruptions in one's "own" or "real" life. The truth is, of course, that what one regards as interruptions are precisely one's life." -C.S. Lewis

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful reminder. I may post that quote where I can see it often.

    ReplyDelete